A J-NUT is a threaded fastener with a side profile generally in the shape of a "J". Similar to a U-NUT with a shorter lower leg, these parts are available in either single or multi-thread.
Advantages of a J-NUT
- Single piece construction from high carbon spring steel prevents separation of threaded nut from retainer legs.
- Austempered generally in a range of H"V"446-513 (Rockwell 45-50).
- Self retaining feature allows for one hand assembly.
- Free floating characteristics allow self alignment with bolt.
- Lighter, stronger, more reliable, less expensive than other types of fasteners.
- Provided in sizes from 4mm-12mm. English units also available.
- Prevailing torque (locking feature) can be incorporated into the threaded sleeve.
- Can be used on plastic panels.
- Performance Class 9 is standard with Class 10 availability.